All Languages    |   EN   SV   IS   IT   RU   FR   RO   PT   HU   LA   NL   SK   HR   ES   BG   NO   FI   CS   TR   DA   PL   EL   SR   EO   |   SK   HU   FR   PL   NL   SQ   RU   NO   ES   SV   IT   DA   PT   CS   HR   RO   |   more ...

Ensk-íslensk orðabók

BETA Online Dictionary Icelandic-English: Enter keyword here!
 ÁáÐð...
  Options | Tips | FAQ | Abbreviations | Desktop

LoginSign Up
Home|About/Extras|Vocab Trainer|Subjects|Users|Forum|Contribute!
Übersetzungsforum Englisch-Isländisch
 Making a single compound word for the phrase "t... »
« How to say "Love each day" in Icelandic    

Icelandic-English Translation of
Help with poem translation

« go back | show/hide answers | notify of additions
Term:
Help with poem translation  
by barefootfiona (DE/GB), 2013-02-03, 15:00  Spam?  
Hi everyone,

The first time I was in Iceland, I picked up this little poetry book (Hundrað beztu ljóð á íslenzka tungu - no publish date given as the cover page is torn out, but I would guess 60s or earlier). I've been trying to translate one of the poems (Svanasöngur á heiði by Steingrímur Thorsteinsson).

However, the combination of the poem dating back to the 19th century, and the orthography also being somewhat antiquated has made it very hard for me to render it both accurately and poetically, so while I've used poetic license in some parts, in other parts I've had to pretty much guess at the meaning of words! Any help would be appreciated:

I've only included one sentence here as per the forum rules, but there are two further stanzas and I would love it if someone could proof-read them too.

The fist two stanzas describe how the poet rides around on a barren heath ad mistakes the swan's song for angels singing.

Here is the original:
Svo undurblítt ég aldrei hef/ af ómi töfrazt neinum; / í vökudraum ég veg minn reið/ og vissi' ei, hvernig tíminn leið/ við svanasöng á heiði.

And here is mine (clumsy both as a translation and a poem, but let's go with it!):
Ne'er have I so astounded (enraptured?)+ been,/ Nor by a voice seduced. / In waking dreams I do not ride+ (? slay my ride?) / for I know how time can elide / With swan's song on the heath

Any feedback is MUCH appreciated!

Fiona xxx

no answers yet...

Optional: Login | Sign Up 
  Answer the question or add a comment

Headline
Nickname
E-Mail (opt.)
Description
Context or additional information. HTML not allowed! Links starting with http:// will be clickable. Formatting: +word+ will be displayed as word, *word* will result in word.
» guidelines
« go back
 Standard reply: Context | Try on your own | Ask Paul | Dictionary
Postings are publicly visible and can be found using search engines.

back to top | home© 2002 - 2017 Paul Hemetsberger | contact
Icelandic-English online dictionary (ensk-íslensk orðabók) developed to help you share your knowledge with others. More information!
Links to this dictionary or to single translations are very welcome! Questions and Answers
Remove Ads